Your team may be migrating businesses to a virtual environment, just like other organizations and enterprises. Virtualization have obviously changed the way how enterprises build their infrastructure and manage resources. With type-1 hypervisors, you can easily create and run multiple virtual machines that installed with different guest operating systems on one single physical hardware.
VMware ESXi, the type-1 hypervisor of VMware, is the core of vSphere virtualization suite. With direct access to and control of underlying resources, VMware ESXi effectively partitions hardware to consolidate applications and cut costs.
As organizations migrating workloads to virtual machines, it is of great importance to ensure the VM data security. A reliable backup software can effectively protect your data from loss.
Backup options for VMware ESXi
From a methodological point of view, there are 2 types of VMware ESXi VM backup
VMware agent-based backup (file-level backup): By installing an agent on each guest operating system, you can back up the virtual machine as the physical machine. It allows granular backup and recovery, but when restoring you still need to create a new VM, then install an OS and the agent.
VMware agentless backup (image-level backup): back up the entire VM, including the operating system, configuration files, and all data on disk. It is the most convenient and reliable way for VM backup and disaster recovery. Restore from it you will gain an immediately usable VM.
A VMware agentless backup protects the entire VM, maximumly ensures the data integrity, and facilitates management of multiple VMs. Therefore, it is widely accepted as the most appropriate approach for VM data protection.
However, unlike databases, there is no official image-level backup option available for ESXi VMs. It was once provided by VMware Data Protection (VDP), an official VMware software. But since VDP was deprecated in vSphere 6.5, now your options are limited to some built-in features and third-party software that uses vStorage APIs.
If you are looking for an efficient way to protect your large number of VMs on VMware ESXi, you can try the reliable VMware backup software — AOMEI Cyber Backup.
What’s AOMEI Cyber Backup
AOMEI Cyber Backup is a reliable enterprise backup software that offers centralized management for VM data protection. It allows you centrally back up large amounts of VMs managed by VMware ESXi or Hyper-V hosts.
Its vendor company, AOMEI Tech is a data insurance leader in backup industry, focused on providing user-friendly and affordable backup software for data protection on different platforms, including PC, smart phone, and servers, etc.
With simple clicks you can easily create a complete and automatically executed VM backup task, freeing you from 24/7 virtual machine management tasks.
10 benefits you can enjoy using AOMEI Cyber Backup
With the AOMEI Cyber Backup, you can enjoy the following benefits:
● Agentless VM Backup: create complete and independent image-level backup for VMware ESXi VMs withoutagent.
● Batch Hot Backup: allow you to batch back up the virtual machines managed by vCenter Server or standalone ESXi host while they are running.
● Easy-to-use Interface: provides you with user-friendly interface to complete backup and restore process based on several clicks.
● Multiple Storage Destinations: support local or network destinations like a shared folder or NAS via SMB protocol.
● Flexible Backup Schedule: you can specify to perform full/incremental backup on a daily/weekly/monthly basis for automatic execution.
● In Time Email Notification: send email notifications when the task is completed or abnormal.
● Multiple Restore Points: allow you to create multiple restore points and restore immediately available VMs.
● Restore to New Location: create a new VM in the same or another datastore/host directly from the backup, saves the trouble of re-configuring the new VM.
● Role Assignment: allow one administrator to create sub-accounts with limited privileges.
● Multiple Versions Support: support both paid and free VMware ESXi 6.0 and later versions.
AOMEI Cyber Backup simplifies the backup process and present the steps with an intuitive GUI interface. Keep reading to see the steps to backup VMware ESXi.
Steps to auto backup VMware ESXi virtual machines
Before you start using AOMEI Cyber Backup to back up Hyper-V VMs, you need to bind the Hyper-V host for authorization. Once authorized, you are free to manage the protection of all VMs on the host without installing an agent on each of the VMs.
Then you can cover multiple virtual machines covered in one backup task.
Click Schedule you can create full/incremental backups and automatically run it daily/weekly/monthly. With upgraded edition you can also perform Cleanup to auto delete the outdated backups.
Created backup tasks will be listed and monitored separately, for later restoring, progress checking and schedule changing.
In addition, select to Restore to new location, you can restore the entire VM to another host from any restore point you like.
Regular backup is a necessary measure for any data protection. Since there is no more official option that offers backup functionality, as an alternative, you can try AOMEI Cyber Backup. It is a reliable VMware ESXi backup software that offers a simple and intuitive backup process.