A properly constructed and well-maintained roof has a lifespan of between 20 to 25years, and you definitely will know when it requires attention from signs such as visible wear (around pipes, chimneys, and other penetrations), loose shingles damaged, or a film of algae or moss.
Several circumstances demand a roof replacement, and some signals are obvious-these include:
- The roof is old: a good roof often has a lifespan of about twenty-five years. Once your roof has attained that age, you should start planning to replace it.
- The shingles are curling and buckling: regularly check the slopes of the roof that get direct sun rays. If you notice that the shingles are curling and losing granules, then you should think of replacing them.
- If the shingles of your roof valleys are breaking apart or missing, it is a sign that you should have your roof replaced. The roof valleys are critical parts of a roof since water flows through them. If they get damaged, they cause leakages.
- Your need to replace the chimney flashing: If your flashing is made of tar or cement, it may be a good idea to replace it with a metal flashing system, which is water-tight and lasts longer.
- If you notice singles granules in the gutters, they begin to shed more granules as roofs approach the end of their life span. When you check your gutters and notice these granules, you should consult an experienced for roof replacement.
- If you have a sagging roof: A sagging roof signals a severe roofing issue that needs quick action and often points to a structural issue. It might be an issue with the foundation supports or the attic decking.
Things you require to know before roof replacement
If you find out that your roof needs replacement, it does not mean that you immediately move to a hardware shop to buy shingles. You require to consider some factors before the replacement takes place.
- Select the suitable material: Selection of the roofing material is very critical. When deciding on which material to purchase, you should consider each available option’s lifespan, price, and appearance. For example, although asphalt shingles are one of the most economical roofing materials, it has one of the shortest lifespans. Metal or Concrete shingles are usually a better option if you are interested in a long-term investment. Apart from more traditional shingles like asphalt, shakes, and slate, you can also buy beautiful metal. You should Consider each available option carefully and investigate the pros and cons of each.
- Choose Between Layering on or peeling Off: Another crucial decision that you require to make is whether to layering it on or remove the existing shingles before installing new ones. Since a second layer puts more stress on the Roof, it is advisable to peel off the existing coating before fixing the new shingles.
- Examine your Roof’s frame condition: Whether or not you have had issues with leakage before, you need to check the flame supporting the Roof. If you find out any regions with soft or broken sheathing or if it seems to be disintegrating, then replace it immediately.
- Please choose the appropriate roofing company: Some ambitious characters may decide to fix their roofs themselves. However, most homeowners opt to hire reputable roofing companies to do the work. To find an appropriate roofer, you need to make calls to several roofing companies or visit their websites such as https://www.loaconstruction.com/ and ask for quotes for the project. Most people will choose their roofers based on cost. But this can be misleading, as some companies can offer low quotes because they engage low-wage personnel. Thus, it is crucial to be careful about the roofing company you hire.