Proper bed rest is recommended to patients to help them recover faster. But lying on a hospital bed for too long can lead to muscle soreness and unwanted body pain. Therefore, taking care of a patient is a daunting task, as you have to offer them the best possible comfort to ensure a quick recovery.
One easy way to offer patients the best care is by providing them with the right medical air mattress, which is specifically created to prevent injuries while healing pressure injuries. However, you need to choose the high-quality medical air mattress for their well-being.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you determine the right type of air mattress for hospital beds, along with the best safety features.
Consider Safety Features in Medical Air Mattress
When looking for the high-quality medical air mattress, these mattresses must contain the following safety features:
- Cell-on-Cell Design: This design feature boasts independent air bladders that are further sealed at the center to prevent air from flowing freely through the complete mattress depth. This way the bottom of the cells caters as a mattress safety base if there’s a power failure.
- Safety Base: It prevents a patient from not lying directly on the hard bed frame even if the pump stops working. The proper safety base is made from either air cells or foam, or both, to act independently even in case of power failure.
- Firm Perimeters: A quality air mattress must have proper firm perimeters to enhance stability while shifting positions. They help patients to remember the bed edge while reducing the risk of rolling out of the bed accidentally.
Determine Patient’s Needs
The very first thing to consider when choosing the right medical air mattress is the needs of your patients. Following are different air mattress types as per the varying needs of patients:
- Low Air Loss Air Mattress: You must look for the best air mattress that offers low air loss feature to prevent moisture-related ailments, such as maceration and sweating. These hospital air mattresses have tiny holes in each air cell to allow the passing of cool air through them for controlling excessive heat and moisture.
- Alternating Pressure Air Mattress: You must consider alternating pressure air mattress for anyone who’s suffering from bedsores and pressure ulcers. By altering the pressure of mattress from particular air cells to another can improve blood circulation while aiding healing. Moreover, the deflation and inflation process of the air mattresses helps in preventing skin breakdown while alleviating pain from body pressure points.
- Lateral Rotation Air Mattress: Air mattresses for hospital beds must also be able to provide lateral rotation to easily inflate and deflate certain air cells. This way these mattresses can easily rotate patients by 40-degrees to the left or right to encourage better blood circulation and proper breathing.
There is no set rule for finding the right medical air mattress. It only depends on the needs of patients and safety features are present in a healthcare pediatric crib mattress you select. The involvement of both these parameters assures the utmost comfort and safety of your patients.
You must look for reputed and professional medical air mattress suppliers to get an idea of the variety of air mattresses available in the market. You may even contact the local medical air mattress provide to clear out all your doubts or queries.