[Miami, FL] Last week, the smart phone got game as The Official Miami Heat Mobile App was unveiled, available in two flavors: iPhone and Android.
Aren’t there already mobile apps for the Miami Heat, you say? Yes, tech wizard, there are several. But those aren’t official, you see. And being official gives this app a HUGE advantage over any other app in the photo, video and up-to-the-minute stats departments.
Did I mention it was free?
As a recent convert to the Android platform from a “dumb” phone, I have to say that this app is pretty damn cool (cool is the one word you shouldn’t use in a review, but it really fits here). First of all the graphics and pictures are all top notch and the navigation A+.
And they’ve stuffed it with all kinds of useful and entertaining features. From the home screen you have all of the following fun at your fingertips:
- Schedules & Tickets: view upcoming games and get tickets
- The Scoreboard: Live game score with play by play notes
- Live Box Score: Latest game box score
- Heat Headlines: team news
- Standings: check the league standings (No. 1!)
- Game Night Chat: you can chat live during the game
- Noisemaker: crowd noise and “let’s go heat” chant at your fingertips
- HEATv: team videos that they show on the website, but no actual game action
- Team: roster, photos and wallpapers of all of your fave players and dancers
- Social: quick links to Twitter, Facebook and the hot new Heat forum “Inferno”
- Other: seat & concession finder, other events at the arena, gear, report unruly fans (yikes)
Screen shots from The Official Miami Heat Mobile App
Reviews on the Android Market were mostly excellent, although The Official Miami Heat Mobile App averages only 4.0 out of 5 stars. Some people reported problems with specific phone models, but I didn’t seem to have any difficulty on my Samsung Admire. The video actually looked really good (although any video on a phone still impresses me).
I didn’t try the Game Night Chat feature because I downloaded it after the team whooped up on the New York Jeremy Lins. That feature alone could make this app downright amazing, so we’ll see what happens next game.
Hey, the team’s Internet Services Department worked pretty hard on this thing, apparently. The least you could do is download it. Did I mention it was free? (For the record, yes I did).
“Our internet services team, led by Michael Farmer, has worked exhaustively with XCO Sportslink to launch this long-awaited Heat app,” said Eric Woolworth, President of The Heat Group’s Business Operations.
“The audience of smartphone users continues to expand rapidly and we’re thrilled to provide Heat fans everywhere with this fantastic platform, which will keep them informed, engaged and connected to the brand,” Woolworth said.
So try it out and see if you have the same good luck I have had with it. If you don’t like it you can always get your money back.
The Official Miami Heat Mobile App is available on the two platforms’ respective app stores.
By: Mark Christopher/Sunshine Slate
Images: Miami Heat